Monday, June 16, 2014

Summer Toolkits

This year I wanted to make a summer packet for my students that they couldn't ignore! It's not so much about what's inside for some of these kids, but how you present it.  If they are excited to open it and show their parents, I'm hoping they are motivated to dig in and actually do it. (If anything, I hope parents are guilted/pressured inspired to motive their kids to do it.)

We've been dabbling in close reading this year, so I wanted to incorporate that into their summer packs. 

They really love sticky notes and highlighters, so I had to include those two things! The magnifying glass was more of a prop that they really enjoyed. We'd read the first time to "get the gist", then pick up our magnifying glasses to show we were ready to read closely. Sometimes they'd put their magnifying glass around the words that gave text evidence to one of my questions too. Here is a picture of what I put in their packets:




I'd love to hear some other ideas for this summer toolkit. If you have some ideas, leave a comment for me. :)

6 comments:

  1. I am super excited to try this out next year. I think I will send one at the beginning of the year explaining what we are doing with Closed reading or have a parent night with our first grade parents since this will be new to both the students and parents. I really like the supplies you send home with the toolkit, especially the magnifying glasses!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a good idea Rachel! So smart to send it home at the beginning of the year. I'll have to do that next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! What a brilliant idea, Sarah! Thanks so much for sharing!! (& I love the beginning of the year idea, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah! You are so talented and have THE BEST ideas! xo

    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Irene! Totally made my day. :) Thank you!

      Delete

THANKS for taking the time to leave us a comment!