Saturday, February 8, 2014

Setting Goals in Writing

We've been quite busy trying to "fit it all in" with all of these snow days in Ohio!  We are at 7 or 8 I believe, which is over our allotted 5.  I am hoping the state will step in and give us some extras due to the uncanny weather conditions we've had this winter!  When cancellations and particularly 2 hour delays occur, teachers have to be selective about what we are going to teach.  Two hours is a big chunk of time to be missing!  I almost always put writing as a priority in my room.  I think it's so important in the primary grades, as there is a direct correlation between writing and success in reading.  We've been working hard remembering our writing goals that we set soon after break.  *Right after break, we gathered and talked about setting our goals for writing...my kids do so well with their handwriting and conventions, thanks to my Daily Sentence Edits, but it's important to constantly remind them of the importance.  We discussed the areas for goal setting and I gave each child a sticky note to place on our goals poster.   I was shocked at  how honest they were! I would have chosen the same areas for most of them!  The kids are constantly reminded of their goals for this quarter because the poster is hanging on our bulletin board.  If you'd like to make your own goal poster, click here to snag the pieces for free.






xo
Megan 

3 comments:

  1. I've done a writing goals board like that before and the kids always loved it. You've just reminded me to bust it out next week! :) Thanks for sharing!
    Mrs. Thompson
    Adventures in Teaching (A First Grade Blog)
    My TpT Store

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad you've posted this! I'm doing reading goals with my kiddos & have wanted to add writing...but I didn't really have an idea where to start with it. LOVE this!! Thanks!

    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this writing goal board! Thank you so much for sharing. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for taking the time to leave us a comment!