Tuesday, September 16, 2014

School Is Tough. Teach Your Kids to Relax and Be A Friend (freebie)

School is tough.  Not just for the teachers--put your tissues away.  I'm talking about it being tough for the kids.  School is a social minefield of missteps and misdirections.  It's even tougher for new students and those that lack strong social skills (from a behavioral/emotional standpoints).   This year I'm working with a larger amount students who have needs for social skills/management and utilizing coping strategies and skills.  After all, we want everyone to be successful.

I've gotta admit though...it can be tough.  It takes work and practice to learn and implement strategies then generalize them across all settings at the appropriate times.  And I don't blame them.  I can only imagine how silly I must have looked as a socially awkward student in elementary school (and even some times these days).

So, to help out my students so they can be successful learners (and implementers), I've created a couple of sets of classroom posters on how to RELAX and how to be a FRIEND.  We've been using them to practice skills and increase awareness when we're frustrated or lost (socially).

And here's the kicker--You can get both poster sets for FREE.  Just follow the links at the bottom of each to get your copy.  There's also a full version you can buy with worksheets, journals, and activities that match up with the posters (if you feel so inclined).





I'll admit it--I'm fond of these.  I think they look good--BUT the meanings behind them is more important.  I have the Relax poster set on my whiteboard and I see it every time I walk in my room.  Laugh and Smile is probably my favorite (because I do it the most, since my kids are hysterical).

That's it.  That's all I got.  No funny or witty stories.  I just hope that these can assist you and your students like they've been helping mine.








2 comments:

  1. Matt, these are wonderful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! I had a couple of times today with the kids where they were reading from them and using them!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for taking the time to leave us a comment!