Saturday, May 3, 2014

How to Make a Sweet Mother's Day Hand Scrub


I have been thinking a lot about my mother lately.  You see, I lost her in July after a long painful battle with Alzheimer's and a brief but horrible battle with cancer.  I realized yesterday as I looked at some beautiful floral arrangements at Costco, that this year I won't be buying a Mother's day gift.  This makes me want to do something extra special for my students so they can show their moms how much they appreciate them.

Even though I teach sixth grade, I like to have my class make something for their mom.  In the past I have made papier mache collage boxes, key chains, paper flowers, and coupon books. 

This year I wanted to do something different.  I remembered the practical and economical gift I had made for my the teachers at my school this past Christmas.  
This is the version I made for the teachers on my staff for Christmas.  


This is the version the students made this week.  All the students got to try out the scrub and they loved how yummy it smelled and how smooth their hands were!




This week I made  Sweet Sugar Hand Scrub with my class.  If you would like to try this too you will need the following materials:




-small jars (you can use the smallest Bernardin canning jars for this or you can do what I did and get small plastic containers at your local dollar store)
-lemon juice
-lemon essential oil (or other essential oil such as peppermint or lavender)
-olive oil
-coarse sea salt
-sugar
-small spoon (optional~ I found small coffee spoons like the ones pictured for 12 for $4 at my local dollar store)





After the students have mixed up their own special batch of the hand scrub, I am going to have them package it in the plastic containers I purchased and have them add a label and the little spoon to the top.


I purchased some decorative gift bags to put the containers in and the students can include this instruction page (I have printed them on the colour printer and cut them in half) as well.


Luckily had enough time to make a nice card to go along with the special gift.  



To make the sweet Mother's Day Tulip Card click HERE.  The inspiration for the heart in my hands card comes from HERE.


If you were looking for a SWEET gift for some sweet mothers then you might want to try this out this week.  If you would like to grab all the files I created you can grab them here for FREE.

Here is the finished project all wrapped up and ready to go!


Looking for a great gift idea to make with younger students?  Click on the image below to see the great post by Learning with Mrs. Leeby!







Freebie Fridays

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my mom to Alzheimer's as well and it is a sad sad disease. This is such a nice gift for moms and so nice of you to share it! I think the parents will feel the love that come with it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that the mom's love this scrub as much as I do! I use it everyday in my shower, I am constantly making new batches. Thanks for dropping by and commenting. Your kind words mean a lot to me.
      Sidney

      Delete
  2. This is a great post, Sidney!!
    I'm definitely going to be pinning it.
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I love to make something I KNOW I like, that way I hope that some of the moms like it too!

      Delete

THANKS for taking the time to leave us a comment!